mercoledì 22 aprile 2009

MLA vs APA

MLA and APA are two styles used (I suppose most in the US) for referencing, both for in-text citations and for the Works Cited List, i.e. the bibliography.

I haven't found many differences between the two; the APA requires the date of publication for all in-text citations, while the MLA doesn't. I found the APA website much clearer than the other one. For example because there was a division between the different cases of in-text citation: summary, paraphrase, direct quotation of short or long passages. Both styles require to provide the number of pages if you are not citing a whole work or the main idea of an author, but a specific passage of a work.

As for the bilbliographic referencing, the two styles slightly differ in punctuation, capital letters and other minor elements. However, in both the essential information is: name of the author, publication year, title of the article, title of the journal, volume number, pages.
It is interesting and useful to see how both websites dedicate a careful analysis of the different kind of sources that you may have to cite in an essay, including all sorts of online sources.

As for my BA thesis, I followed the instructions of my professor. I always had to provide the author's surname, the date of publication and the page:

Little (2006:167) identifies three reasons why...

In this perspective, when writing down his/her reflections (...) and reviews it in the freedom of not having to act on it in real time (Raya 2006: 131)

As Kohonen (2000:9) points out, “direct quotation."

the bibliographic reference was a mix of the two styles:

Little, D. (2006). “the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Content, purpose, origin, reception and impact”. Language Teaching 39, 167-190

I can conclude by saying that even though I find referencing annoying, it is a convention matter linked to IPR respect. The best thing to avoid freaking out when writing our eferencing is to choose since the beginning of our research a certain style to follow, and to bear in mind what its rules are.

Well, see you on Wednesday!

Francesca

2 commenti:

  1. Hi Francesca,
    how are you?
    First of all thank you for your comments on my blog!
    As far as your post is concerned, I agree with you when you say that the APA website was clear and detailed. I found it very useful and easy to read. Nevertheless, I think I will use the MLA style because I think it is similar to my personal 'idea' of a citation.
    I'm still wondering why we don't have this attention to the problem of plagiarism and so to the aspect of citations. As you say it is a little bit annoying, but it is important as it is related to IPR respect.
    Finally, I think your English is clear and your post is well structured, but I noticed a couple of things:
    * 'Much clearer': I think you should write 'much more clear' or 'clearer than;
    * 'For example because there was a...': I think this can be considered a sentence fragment. I think you can correct it by eliminating 'because' and putting a colon after 'one': '... than the other one: for example, there was a division between the different cases...(summary, paraphrase...).'
    I don't know if it's clear and if it correct, but I'm pretty sure this is a case of sentence fragment! :-D
    * 'Both styles require...if you are not citing...,but a specific passage...': I think this sentence is difficult to understand... It is not very clear what you want to say, but I think it can simply be a problem of punctuation.
    * 'careful analysis of...': I think it is 'a careful analysis to...', but actually I'm not an expert in prepositions :-D

    Ok, I think that's all! Keep up the good work!
    See you soon in class!

    Elisa

    RispondiElimina
  2. HI!
    Yes referencing, citing and also doing long lists is a quite annoying thing! ;-) But we have to do it if we want to protect our work, and also respect its resources. And, in this post you underline the problem about finding a proper "style" that should be clear, but also personal. I agree with you, and think that it is good to follow the proper guide, but we must try to be specific and personal too!

    As for your English, there are a few things I would like to talk about (hope you won't mind it!):

    -"much clearer", you should use "much more clear", or "clearer then", or "more clear then"

    -"require", can be replaced with "ask", "need", and also "provide" can be substituted by "write", "cite", "state", "list". I think that "provide" means more "offrire", "fornire" in an active way, not in a text.

    -"I can conclude" means you could also conclude in another way....I think you mean "Posso concludere dicendo che..." but here the "posso" means something like "now that I'm done, I can end", not really "I can say this intead of that". Maybe you should use "Concluding, I can say that"...

    -"convention matter", maybe you mean "conventional"

    The post is well built and folllows a certain coherence, but maybe you should pay attention at overlapping too many concepts.

    Ok, see you soon!
    s.

    RispondiElimina